Part-Time Web Development Facilitator
Contract Period: September 2 - December 31 2018
Technology is changing the way the world responds to crisis - and Re:Coded is at the center of it all. We are a fast-growing humanitarian innovation startup that is preparing refugees and vulnerable youth in conflict affected areas with fundamental coding skills and professional experience that together create access to careers in technology.
Re:Coded runs a signature coding bootcamp for refugees, displaced youth and local community members - the first of its kind in Iraq and Turkey. We provide technical training to extraordinary human beings who would not otherwise have access to first-rate materials, mentorships, and job opportunities. We believe in the strength of diversity, the beauty of code, and the power of education. We believe that learning is a lifelong pursuit, the doors of which should be closed to no one.
We are looking for an excellent, part-time Web Development Facilitator to work with a group of students for an online coding program in Qaraqosh. The role of the facilitator is to organize weekly in-person meetups where you will coach the students through the online curriculum. Throughout the week, you’re expected to be available to answer questions online, keep track of student progress on a daily basis and assist students to complete their projects and share your knowledge.
The commitment will be 20 hours per week from 2 September till 31 December 2018.
Our trainers must be extremely knowledgeable in their field of expertise and possess solid technical aptitude. Additionally, we expect you to be an excellent communicator and be able to explain complex subjects in a clear and interesting way.
- Shortlist students for the program and interview them to determine suitability
- Plan weekly coding meetups in Qaraqosh to go through an online web development curriculum and apply skills using pair programming techniques.
- Develop materials to support and facilitate our online curriculum in an interesting and clear way during weekly meetups.
- Help our fellows with coding assignments and projects on a 1:1 basis online and in-person.
- Do tests and evaluations to make sure the training is effective
- Organise projects for each stage of the curriculum and provide personalised feedback and support to students
- Help develop the tech ecosystem in Qaraqosh and surrounding areas of Mosul.
- Experience with third-party libraries and APIs
- Solid understanding of the full development life cycle
- Understanding of design principles and interface guidelines
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject is an asset.
- Fluency in Arabic and excellent knowledge of English required.
- Strong communication skills in English and Arabic with the passion to go above and beyond to support others
- Teaching experience or, in its absence, strong organizational and lesson-planning skills are of paramount importance.
Complete this online form by 10th August: https://goo.gl/forms/VVEm8UZtYvgvXyd13. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applications without a CV or missing answers in the form will not be considered.